Monday, March 16, 2009

Thingy 11

Social Media
Last year I explored social media when dabbling in the 23 things. I found the rating system amusing yet I resist these mechanisms because they appear to create a layer of censorship through popularity. I resist the popular options as a rule therefore this tool is not effective for me. That said, I do see the value in gauging what is currently popular as guaged by the general public if only to allow library staff to direct programming and other services geared to public intrests and concerns. One of my favorite news aggregates is The Daily Beast which is an aggregation plus commentator blog. Another interesting news aggregate is The Drudge Report.. This site feeds AP reports as well as provide links to many popular columnists.

No comments:

Post a Comment