Saturday, January 24, 2009

ruminations on 2.0

Thingy Two:

My favorite explanation about the nature of 2.0 came from a Emerging Technology workshop workshop I attended in 2007 which defined 2.0 as:

The dynamic version of the web, servers apply continual uploads. Google earth used to load a static page but now provides AJAX or asynchronous uploads keeping the pages dynamic and freshly loaded.

Note that today’s phones, laptops and other web-ready devices have ISP and GPS making them ‘presence-aware’ recognizing user location and history, pushing user/location specific products/services

examples of 2.0 tools are:
* Wiki's, contributions of users are intrinsic to it's functionality, useful for reference
* Blogs promote discourse
* Web Syndication, alternate forms of requesting information, ex. RSS feeds
*Web Service API, provides the ability to in-bed a program with an electronic document/website to add functionality such as weather.com's uses of google-earth
* Bookmark tagging: delicious.com helps tag favorites, clustering them for further retrieval.
* RSS an informational pushing and 'feed' tool helps provide news feeds from select sources. Tow has google reader RSS account feeding library information
* Mashups blend of several types of software, creating aggregates that go beyond the intended use of the original software. SEE Yahoo pipes at: http://pipes.yahoo.com/pipes/
* flikr and delicious other social software potentially useful to promote library
* Spywarewarrior.com > spyware rogue lists of sites that PRETEND to be spyware yet are in fact TROUBLE.
* Mashup’s are blends of software used in unintended purpose. For example see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mashup_(web_application_hybrid)

1 comment:

  1. jojo

    I will need to replace/upgrade my cell phone at some point. I have never considered anything but a simple phone (Prepaid minutes) where my kids could call if they felt the need. But you showed me some things with your phone and my kids have moved well beyond email, which is still my preferred method of person to person communication, . . . perhaps I need to upgrade my technological skill with phones, well, truth be told, all of my technological skills could use a tweaking. When time and circumstance permit tell me some good stuff about what I can do with a phone these days.

    bill

    ReplyDelete